I just finished with my exam. But, before I tell you how that went, I feel I have an obligation to describe my morning thus far, despite the fact it's only 9:48 am. So I was up studying last night till around 1:30, and got up a couple hours early to study before I left for class this morning. The hot water wasn't working this morning so I couldn't take a shower, but I was on schedule, and was planning on leaving 10 minutes early so I could make sure to get to class on time to not be late for the test! Plus sometimes there's traffic...yes, bike traffic.
So everything was great, I left my room when I wanted to, hopped on my bike and got five feet away from my building when my pants got caught in the chain. So, this has happened a few times before, and I don't think I've mentioned it to anyone, partly because I've forgotten, but mostly because it's embarrassing, and I look stupid. It's happened 3 times with another pair of pants because they kind of flare out at the bottom...I stopped wearing them while biking. Mostly because the last time they got caught they ripped. But, all times I was able to get them out while semi-biking with one leg and making the chain go all the way around.
This time though, I was wearing jeans, and they were too bulky that I couldn't bike at all, or push with my hands. I had to drag my bike attached to my leg back into my building, through the hall, and into my room to get scissors (luckily I had scissors!!!!) to cut my jeans off where they were caught. Of course, my roommate chooses this time to go to the wc and see my pathetic situation. Luckily my plan worked and then I was able to get the jeans out. I don't know what I would've done if my room wasn't on the first floor....I don't even want to think about it.
Needless to say, I won't be wearing the pants anymore, and am now down to one pair of jeans. This would have been much more tragic had I been late for the exam and couldn't finish, but as it turned out I arrived 2 minutes late (as a result of biking like mad--of course everyone was already there and the prof. was handing out exams). But, it was pretty easy, or at least I hope it was, I was able to finish in 30 minutes, so I think that's a good sign.
So, no more exams this week, I have one test next week, and one presentation of an article I wrote with my group on Dutch Integration and Immigration.
The Netherlands has an integration test that people have to take to become citizens, but it doesn't apply to the U.S., or Japan, other EU nations, or a couple other places. Only a specific group of people have to take it. It costs 305 euros ($399) and you have to watch a video about Dutch culture, that includes a nude beach and people who are gay kissing. And especially since nudity is offensive to the Islam religion (which the Dutch are not too fond of anyway), it's a huge controversy, plus that it discriminates and only certain people have to take the test (especially those who compared to other nations don't have the money to take it). Anyway, that's some of the issues we talk about in our article.

Goede Dag!
p.s. title song by Norah Jones
So everything was great, I left my room when I wanted to, hopped on my bike and got five feet away from my building when my pants got caught in the chain. So, this has happened a few times before, and I don't think I've mentioned it to anyone, partly because I've forgotten, but mostly because it's embarrassing, and I look stupid. It's happened 3 times with another pair of pants because they kind of flare out at the bottom...I stopped wearing them while biking. Mostly because the last time they got caught they ripped. But, all times I was able to get them out while semi-biking with one leg and making the chain go all the way around.
This time though, I was wearing jeans, and they were too bulky that I couldn't bike at all, or push with my hands. I had to drag my bike attached to my leg back into my building, through the hall, and into my room to get scissors (luckily I had scissors!!!!) to cut my jeans off where they were caught. Of course, my roommate chooses this time to go to the wc and see my pathetic situation. Luckily my plan worked and then I was able to get the jeans out. I don't know what I would've done if my room wasn't on the first floor....I don't even want to think about it.
Needless to say, I won't be wearing the pants anymore, and am now down to one pair of jeans. This would have been much more tragic had I been late for the exam and couldn't finish, but as it turned out I arrived 2 minutes late (as a result of biking like mad--of course everyone was already there and the prof. was handing out exams). But, it was pretty easy, or at least I hope it was, I was able to finish in 30 minutes, so I think that's a good sign.
So, no more exams this week, I have one test next week, and one presentation of an article I wrote with my group on Dutch Integration and Immigration.
The Netherlands has an integration test that people have to take to become citizens, but it doesn't apply to the U.S., or Japan, other EU nations, or a couple other places. Only a specific group of people have to take it. It costs 305 euros ($399) and you have to watch a video about Dutch culture, that includes a nude beach and people who are gay kissing. And especially since nudity is offensive to the Islam religion (which the Dutch are not too fond of anyway), it's a huge controversy, plus that it discriminates and only certain people have to take the test (especially those who compared to other nations don't have the money to take it). Anyway, that's some of the issues we talk about in our article.
The piece of jeans stayed in my chain until I got back home and was able to take a picture
Goede Dag!
p.s. title song by Norah Jones




5 comments:
crapola! you need a rubber band around your leg. You can't wear the ones you had to cut? I know you didn't take very many pants with you. Are you ok for clothes?
Ya, actually I've seen some people with these orange band things around their ankles, and I'm pretty sure that's what they're for. That would make sense anyway. Tucking my pants into my socks (which a lot of people do) doesn't work so well when you have to peddle. No, I can't they look crappy. I can mend them when I get home, but for now I can't wear them. No, now I only have one pair of jeans and one pair of black pants, but, I guess I'll see how long I can get by with the one.
Well---glad your mother remembers about rubber bands. Pants and chains don't mix I see you found that out. Other things in emer. work, like roll them up,(might be cold but works) a cloths line pin, Stocking as you mentioned. Did that pant section remain in until you got back? Appears that chain needs some oil, a little brown? Anything with oil in it will work. papa
Way to go on the test, bet you are glad that is out of the way. Sounds like you studied hard to do so well. papa
Sorry but that is HILarious. I wish your flatmate would have taken a picture of you carrying your bike through the halls :) Sorry about your problems and the pants, but we must have a laugh over it. Love ya
Post a Comment