01 November 2008

Spookshow Baby


Happy Halloween Everyone!
Yes, I know it was yesterday, but i was horribly busy yesterday and didn't get a chance to write. I managed to finish my ridiculously long papers yesterday and am sooooo incredibly relieved to be finished with them.
I hope everyone had a spooktacular halloween last night. I also hope everyone watched at the very least one scary movie...halloween wouldn't be complete without a heart pounding, nail biting good movie. I was meeting a friend last night at the store so we could get some goodies to celebrate, and was attempting to get my key in the bike lock to lock up my bike at the store --sometimes i have trouble getting the key in and out of the lock when it's cold outside, it's a cheap lock (not money wise though), everyone else who has it has troubles as well, including the person i was meeing-- and my key broke off in the lock. Now, lucky for me i wasn't trying to unlock my bike because that wouldv'e been a nightmare not to have one for the night or longer. So, I went and met my friend, we got pumpkins to carve, candy, pop, all the essentials for a fabulous night of gorging on goodies. And as we were leaving, as the halloween spirirts of the night would have it, my friend's key broke off in her lock...this time while she was trying to unlock it. So...she had to carry her bike the about 2 miles back to her place where we were going.
Now, the ironic thing about the story, not that it's not ironic enough what with being halloween and the same exact thing happening to me a half hour earlier; is that a few weeks ago...i had been having troubles with my key and was telling her, but she hadn't had any until that same day we went back to our bikes to unlock them, and had such a hard time getting her key out of the lock that i leant her my keychain to put the key on so she could put more force to pull it. Up until I said something she hadn't had any trouble, and then the day, the same hour my key breaks, so does hers...
But, the rest of the night went great, and by the time I went home I was thanking my lucky stars that it hadn't been my bike that remained locked because I was the one who had to ride back home late at night (a walk that would take 45 minutes).
I have anyone slighty spooky incident that occured recently. Not on halloween, but in the spirit of weird things...
The story starts when at around 11:30 pm someone ran my bell (ring my bell...ring by bell...sorry.--if you don't get it, don't worry) and I answered. It was a man who was obviously speaking in dutch, i told him i couldn't and he said he was a security guard for the sshn (student housing) and someone had called them and he needed to talk to that person on my floor. So, he asked me to knock on sanne's door, which i did a few times and told him i didn't think she was there. So he asked me to knock on irene's door next to sanne's and i did, she answered but was talking on her cell phone. I explained there was a security guard and he wanted to speak to her. He came over and there started speaking in dutch, i could tell by their body language that she wasn't very happy with him, very unsure, and he was whispering the whole time, while she was not. I kind of got some weird vibes, so i continued to stand next to them till the conversation was over, about 10 minutes, he left and she went back on her cell phone, and i went back in my room. So i didn't find out that night what the conversation was about or what the security guard had wanted. But I did notice when I got home earlier that the window in the kitchen was closed and the curtains were drawn. Now, I've hardly ever seen the window closed, and never in the two and a half months i've lived here have I ever seen the curtains in the kitchen drawn, and I definately noticed that. The next day, I got an email from the sshn saying there's a man going around telling people he's a security guard, and not to let him in he may not have the best intentions, and call the police and the sshn if we should see him.
I was creeped out, but left for Italy the next day and the night I was back, irene knocked on my door and explained what had happened. She said, earlier that day the roommate next to her, sargan had knocked on her door and asked her if she knew a guy was standing outside her window, they checked, and saw a man looking in and went around and closed all the curtains. The same day there was someone who came into our hall, whistleing very loudly (which a few roommates heard, but were reluctant to look out their doors), the person walked down the hall and back outside. Irene talked to our flatmates and found out it wasn't any of us.
The man who was looking into her window, was the same who rang my bell that night. My bell also rang the night after, but I didn't answer it that time, they only rang once, and didn't ring anyone else in our hall.
When they were talking, he told her that there was a video of irene that had very personal situations on the video and they were going to put it online, which is why she was obviously unhappy with him. She also told me that she had asked me, but must've asked in dutch, if i would knock on sargan's door, mainly because he's a guy, but also because he saw the man earlier that day too. And she was so glad that I stood there the whole time I did because she didn't know what would've happened if I hadn't and asked me why i did. At the time I noticed the man didn't have a uniform on...which was very strange if he was a security guard, but, he was wearing navy blue, which i associate with security guards. He was also talking on his cell phone when he arrived, giving me the impression he was talking with the sshn, and he was whispering the whole time, while irene and myself were not. Irene also told me, the sshn does not have security guards, which i guess is better late than never to find out. The next morning, she had gone to the police and to the sshn, which is why i had received the email.
We think the window peeper, conversation man and the mystery person who has a key to our hall is the same person. Irene went to the maintenance man, and we are having our lock changed to the front door. Irene got some sticky paper stuff that goes on your window and is patterned so you can't see inside, she gave some to me as well to put up in my room, she also got a camera put up outside her window so she can see from the inside. There's a window at the end of our hall, that looks straight down so, if you were outside you would see if someone left their room, went to the bathroom, or kitchen, so a few of us got together and i put my sarong (since it's so big) over the window, the maintenance man said he's get us a proper curtain. It is at this time that I was very thankful to have men roommates, and enough rooms on our floor that at any given time odds are that at least one other person is home.
Spooky enough true halloween stories?
Sleep tight, Lock your doors, & Don't answer the door for strangers!
p.s. title song by Rob Zombie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paige, check your email for a msg.
I have sent about a lock. papa

Anonymous said...

I should probably comment on how scarry this is and how glad I am that you are all ok and learned an important lesson... but all I can think about is "isn't it cute that she takes after me and turns things she says into songs". I know you'll apprecate that, Paige! mom

Paige said...

haha, yeah i thought you might appreciate that...we had our lock changed yesterday, so hopefully no more sightings of this guy in our hallway!