Ah, Okay. I apologize for not writing in a while. It's been kinda of busy around here. I had my first Dutch language 'course' yesterday, I'm definately gonna need to practice! There are 3 combinations of letters, eu, ui, ij, that all sound about the same to me that we don't really have in english. The other three I pretty much have down, oe, ie, au, those are the easiest for me. The lady who's teaching us gave us a t.v. website where they have children's shows that we can watch online and practice and listen to pronunciation, and the library in the city has some books that are aimed at adults learning dutch that might be useful.
I'm looking at going to Wien, Austria in December with a friend, Anna, they have a Christmas market set up there that would be fun to go to. Anna's been there before and so would know where to go and everything like that. I'm looking into just going for the day, taking a night train and arriving in the morning and taking a night train back, at least that way I wouldn't have to pay for a hotel or anything. Tickets aren't available online yet, but should be in the next week or so. Anna also offered to let me stay with her in Hungary if I made it down there in the spring or summer...i just might have to do that!
The leaves are beginning to change and become gorgeous oranges and reds. If it weren't so chilly here I'd really enjoy going outside and riding around.
I was looking into maybe getting a cleaning job or something that would just pay cash and found out about a dutch website, but the translations i do online for the ads are not so good, and the only ads in english i've found of course are in amsterdam. I think it would be nice to have something to do for a couple of hours a couple days a week for some extra cash. Too bad I can't do anything in service since I don't know Dutch.
I also just got a letter today saying I have to go and pick up my residence permit in 's-Hertogenbosch, a city west of Nijmegen. So, I'm just going to make a day of it probably next friday and see what there is to see there. Unfortunately I can't take a bus and have to resort to buying a train ticket. I'll try and see if anyone else wants to go, probably all the Americans got their letters and have to go too, so I'll ask around...
Dag!
p.s. title song originally by Nine Inch Nails, but Johnny Cash's version is by far the best. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmVAWKfJ4Go
I'm looking at going to Wien, Austria in December with a friend, Anna, they have a Christmas market set up there that would be fun to go to. Anna's been there before and so would know where to go and everything like that. I'm looking into just going for the day, taking a night train and arriving in the morning and taking a night train back, at least that way I wouldn't have to pay for a hotel or anything. Tickets aren't available online yet, but should be in the next week or so. Anna also offered to let me stay with her in Hungary if I made it down there in the spring or summer...i just might have to do that!
The leaves are beginning to change and become gorgeous oranges and reds. If it weren't so chilly here I'd really enjoy going outside and riding around.
I was looking into maybe getting a cleaning job or something that would just pay cash and found out about a dutch website, but the translations i do online for the ads are not so good, and the only ads in english i've found of course are in amsterdam. I think it would be nice to have something to do for a couple of hours a couple days a week for some extra cash. Too bad I can't do anything in service since I don't know Dutch.
I also just got a letter today saying I have to go and pick up my residence permit in 's-Hertogenbosch, a city west of Nijmegen. So, I'm just going to make a day of it probably next friday and see what there is to see there. Unfortunately I can't take a bus and have to resort to buying a train ticket. I'll try and see if anyone else wants to go, probably all the Americans got their letters and have to go too, so I'll ask around...
Dag!
p.s. title song originally by Nine Inch Nails, but Johnny Cash's version is by far the best. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmVAWKfJ4Go
These are a couple pictures I took from the bridge on my way to Lent...they didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped, but it was very pretty. There was a carnival going on around the city center, you can see the ferris wheel and a few other rides.




4 comments:
Thanks for sharing all your thoughts and adventures with us. I enjoy it and I'm sure everyone else does too. We're all jealous that you are getting to travel, see the world, and study too.
Love you, Auntie Di
Ah, well, thank you. I'm glad you like it. I still can't believe I'm miles and miles away, even though it now seems a little more like home to me.
I just love to hear about your travels and adventures. Your getting some great photos.I would like to print some out....how?
So, I've already helped by dad along with printing out pictures, but in case anyone else wants to know...
On Picasa I have blocked people from downloading my pictures, but if you want to, let me know, and what i can do is give you access for 24 hours or something like that. Also, my dad knows how to get around the access part, if of course you're in my family and want access you can ask my dad or mom to help you.
Post a Comment