02 February 2009

Adding to the Noise

Hey everyone.
I don't think I mentioned this before, but since it happened today, I thought it'd be worth mentioning. This time I was at school when it happened, and was very surprised that I could still hear it. There's an alarm that sounds in the city the first monday of every month (much like Kaua'i) but instead of a Hurricane alert, it's one operated by the city council as a National (er...rather city) Emergency Alarm. I guess Europe (the Netherlands) history with war and bombings has left them a bit paranoid. My only question is, what happens when the alarm sounds for real? I definitely think exchange students (and new residents!!!!) should know what to do & be aware of the alarm in case of...anything. I have no idea where it actually goes off, but it sounds really super close to Hoogeveldt (the complex i live in) and was harder to hear at the University, but still was audible.
I made a fabulous pasta sauce tonight, so I thought I'd share...
Need: Regular pasta sauce, Tomatoes, Eggplant (good substitute for meat--fills you up), Paprika (Bell Peppers), Onion, Garlic, Oil
You saute garlic and onion in a little oil, add pasta sauce and chopped tomatoes, eggplant (small pieces) and paprika.
Seasonings: basil, salt, pepper, paprika, cheyenne pepper (red hot chili powder would be better--and even better would be chopped red hot peppers).
Add a little red wine and a tad water. Yum.
I had an English Old to New course today, and so discussed starting with the Anglo-Saxons arriving in England and talked about how widespread Celtic, Welsh...etc. were. Anyway, it reminded me of (and I don't think I wrote about this) how when I was at Allie's place for Christmas we watched a Scottish program and to my surprise, Allie's parents had to put subtitles on to understand it. Of course, even with the subtitles I still had difficulty (a lot of slang words, and just plain words I had no idea what they meant).
Well I'm off to go see the Curious Case of Benjamin Button--which, at first I thought was a really bad spoof movie. Turns out, it's a serious movie...we'll see afterwards. I'm not too awfully excited, but I think I need to see for myself to judge. If you haven't seen it, here's the trailer:

I'll let you know.

Tot Zo!
p.s. title song by Switchfoot

No comments: