09 April 2009

Chalkline

So, I just tried to use the phrase, "chalk it up to"...on my exam, and realized that probably no one here would understand what I was trying to say, let alone submit the paper to a professor.
But, then I got to thinking, where does the phrase come from? And why are we chalking it up? Did I just make it up, or is it one of those strange phrases we use and don't know why? Does it have anything to do with children playing with chalk, and therefore making something simple that otherwise would be complicated?...Did that make sense?
Any insight...anyone?

Sucess!

p.s. title song by Strike Anywhere

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are many examplation out there for the expression "chalk it up". My first thoughts were of the many chalk boards in our school. Everything was put on the board, and we learned from the chalkboard. Seems the one of the most popular is "chalk it up to experience", like writting there in your memory. They used large chalk in the early railroads, marking cars in the yard to send diffferent places. Another chalk it up. papa

Paige said...

Ah, chalk board, of course!