11 July 2009

The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks

Ahhhhhhhhh...it's so good to be home!
I arrived back in nijmegen around 9 am this morning, and had a great time, after 4 days in Greece I was ready to come home. It's not that I didn't enjoy traveling and being IN GREECE! Just that Athens wasn't what I thought it would be, and actually isn't one of my favorite cities I've been to. It was crowded, huge, dirty, and the people weren't so friendly, well...maybe the men were a little too friendly, but other than that. Unfortunately when I posted the last blog the internet connection wasn't so good so I wasn't able to post pictures...I'll make in up to you later in the post, promise.

Athina, Greece
Day 1:
I'll begin where I left off...I did arrive in Athens at 6:40 - but actually was 5:40am my time (as time is pushed back an hour in greece, time change). I met a Greek man in Thessaloniki who didn't speak any english, but helped me figure out I needed a reservation for the train, and defended me when some other man tried to get me to move from where I was sitting. When we arrived in Athens he helped me with my bags taking them to the station for me, very kind.I hung out at the train station for a bit, had a cup of coffee and waited for the information desk to open at 8am. Which, I didn't need to do as they didn't have any maps, and weren't very helpful. So I hit the streets in search of a map to find my hostel, found a map posted on a corner, but of course it was in greek and i had the english translation of streets that did me no good. So instead of wandering around in search of my hostel which was according to the information man 5 blocks away, I got a cab and took a ride to it. The cab wasn't terribly expensive, but def. expensive for only going 5 blocks, but as I see it, it was much better than me getting lost or worse (as it wasn't the best area). I couldn't check in to the hostel until 11am, but by the time I got to the hostel it was around 9am and they were serving breakfast, and I had a shower (don't think technically i was supposed to, but damnit i had traveled a long time and needed one). As I waited for the internet usage, the hostel man asked if i wanted to check in now, yes i replied, when he proceeded to tell me that he had a room for me, but he didn't want to put me there since there was no a/c and would i mind going to another hostel (same owners). Umm, but i have a reservation, i have the papers, i told him. Yes, he said, but this other hostel is better and has a/c. I said fine and he called me a cab (and paid for it). I hung out at this hostel till 11am to make sure I absolutely had a room and wouldn't have to leave again. This in some ways turned out to be a blessing since it was a block away from the metro and slightly closer to the city center (and in a better area). In other ways, while it had a/c they didn't have any sheets or blankets (besides to cover the mattress) and i had to pay for a towel. Towel is my own fault, I meant to buy one before I left nijmegen but just didn't get around to it.This day I headed to the Acropolis hearing from a girl at another hostel that on sundays EU students had free admittance (turns out EU students were free any historical site, just students were free sunday). Gorgeous, amazing are the only words to describe it. So much history and culture, theater, temples, just amazing. The whole time in Greece it was ridiculously hot and humid, no rain, but in Greece they had water stations around the city everyone for drinking water (or otherwise) which I really really loved. Water and food were also very cheap in Greece, I didn't eat at any 'restraunts' but mostly bakeries or these kind of 'to go' food places (with just sanwiches, etc.) Of course I had gyros and was surprised to find out when I ordered a 'traditional gyro' i had an option of pork or chicken---no lamb---in fact, i didn't see lamb a choice anywhere in greece...not sure if that's an american version of gyros????? So I had pork, and also had french fries inside the gyro. Some other meals I had, a baguette with feta cheese, greek olives, tomatoes, and cumcumbers...and a hot flaky pastry with feta cheese and spinach inside. Great food, all for around 3 euros including a drink. Fabulous.
After the acropolis I sat on a bench staring at a map figuring out where to go next and a man came and sat down beside me (60-70 yrs old) began asking where i was going, what i thought...etc. I found out he's from copenhagen, denmark, an artist and spends time painting in greece for a few months during the year. He at one time had a dutch girlfriend and so knew the culture and area, interesting man. He ended up taking me to most of the major sites in athens and because he spent so much time there knew a lot about its history and the good spots to go. We visited socrates prison (which apparently isnt really socrates prison afterall-they found out later- but is still marked as so), temple of zeus, the olympic stadium, and much more. Afterwards he invited me to his flat for tea, but i declined saying i had to be back at my hostel. I didn't really, but even though he was a sweet man and i'm sure meant well, i'm still not comfortable going back to anyone's house in a different country, as long as we stayed in public that was my comfort/safety zone.So we parted and i continued to the national park where i found a small zoo inclosed were pigeons, cats, rabbits, chickens, two donkeys, a couple goats, and really not much else. I saw the President's house and the guards change places on the hour This is one of those guards, and another soldier who's wiping his sweat
as well as the Parliament building, and that's when my photo sim card was full and my feet were tired. Oh, also were I discovered apple fanta--i love it! wish we had it in the netherlands or in the u.s.

Day 2:
Met another man, this one Greek and only slightly older than me (and very handsome too) who wanted me to stay in Greece and tour the islands with him where he'd 'support' me if i only stayed a bit longer. I told him i was leaving that night, and on my way to meet some friends at the Archaeological Museum...where I was actually headed, but of course alone and leaving in 2 days. I let him walk me the 1/2 block to the museum and give me his contacts, but there we parted and I went and waited for the museum to open for an hour. It was overwhelming. A huge museum, sooo much history, sooo many pots, artifacts, columns, statues, everything you can imagine. Very interesting, but after 4 rooms of greek pots they all began to look the same to me. There was also an Egyptian section of the museum, where compared to the Greek section I spent twice as much time (having just taken an egyptian course i was especially interested). Total, i spent around 3 1/2 hours there. I caught the metro and headed to the beach. Out of the train station I got distracted having seen a church up ahead and took a 1/2 hr. detour to explore the new find. This was my first Greek church, it was great. I couldn't believe all the gold inside, the details, especially the wood carvings, lots of wood carvings. Cat and Crocodile mummification
I walked for 3ish miles to the beach, but wound up by a port instead, so decided it was best to take a tram. When I finally arrived it was around 7pm and i thought it would be best to get back to the hostel so only spent 10 or so minutes there.Egyptian part of the museum

Doei!
p.s. title song by The Eagles

No comments: